pondering my role in a bigger story

Monday, July 07, 2008

wild weekend

Carla makes a valance for my dining room out of tea towels.

Close up view of the valance.

The finished product.

The pillow I am currently embroidering an ampersand on for my den.

Carla models the sun-dress I made in 9th grade home economics class. Yes, it is covered in green rhinos, but the photo does not do it justice.

Sunday supper. Pork loin, sweet potato fries, grilled asparagus, coca-cola salad (a southern classic), fresh tomatoes, whole grain bread, and, of course, sweet tea.

Nice, low-key, three-day weekend here. My friend, Carla, who has been my friend since birth, came out from Richmond for the weekend. A big thanks to Andrew for running the home front so she could hang with me and the little girls could enjoy Camp Daddy. (Thanks, Andy!) It was good to just get to hang out, go to the museum, work in the yard, cook a few nice meals, do some small projects, consume large amounts of coffee, and laugh a lot.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Tammy M. said...

How much fun???!!!
Your lunch looks delicious.

Monday, July 07, 2008 10:04:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy,
I'm so happy you got to do this. Long-time friends are such a treasure. Love your curtains, pillow idea, rhino jumper, and your lovely lunch! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Monday, July 07, 2008 11:39:00 AM

 
Blogger Lori said...

Very pretty curtains. And I love the rhino dress!

Looks like a good time.

Monday, July 07, 2008 5:12:00 PM

 
Blogger Laura Thomas Hall said...

Ms. Croom would be so proud you saved your dress!
How fun to have Carla come visit, please tell her hello for me.

Monday, July 07, 2008 10:16:00 PM

 
Blogger Southern Cheesehead said...

I should have known you'd have an orange room...clifford orange! I still don't like big orange and you know it! LOL

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 9:32:00 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer said...

I love me some sweet tater fries. Trade you a ride on my mac. Congrats on completing the valance project.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 12:33:00 PM

 
Blogger soul and culture said...

Thanks, y'all.

Laura - Yes, Marie Croom would be proud. Stuff like this is what you come up with when you clean out your parents' house. I sent it home with Carla to make something else out of the fabric for her girls. But it is kind of a poly/cotton blend, so I think it feels kinda nasty. You'll get a kick out of this - the fabric came from Parks Belk!

Michele, you know I'm gonna have me an orange room. At least football season is not far away!

Jenny, did you say trade fries for a mac?!

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 6:01:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so fun! that meal made my mouth water, hahaha. see you soon! xo

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 9:07:00 AM

 
Blogger zorra said...

Mmmm, that looks good. I had to enlarge the picture to make sure there were enough bing cherries in that salad.
I am in awe of that valance.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 7:28:00 AM

 
Blogger Karey Swan said...

My son and daughter-in-love painted one of their rooms 'pumpkin', and I love it!

Like the valance.

And what's Coca Cola salad? I'm intrigued and think I need the recipe!

Friday, July 11, 2008 12:54:00 PM

 
Blogger Southern Cheesehead said...

48 days and counting until the first college football game! you should have known that I would know that, but who's counting?

Friday, July 11, 2008 8:03:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home