pondering my role in a bigger story

Friday, June 27, 2008

City, Oh, My City

Last night at writing group we did a quick, 10-minute write called, "City, Oh, My City" - which I translated to "County, Oh, My County". Because Dusty Rose does not live in the city. I'm putting it here as a reminder to myself to clean it up and flesh it out a little bit. Again, this was a quick one.

CHESTER COUNTY, OH, MY CHESTER COUNTY

Home of Eddie Arnold, Walking Tall and Dusty Rose,
Dixie Youth, an Annual BBQ Festival, and Freed-Hardeman University

Home of Bells Drive-In, voted best burger in Tennessee,
and the drive-thru nativity at First Baptist

Where Footloose, the movie, could have been filmed,
yet the dances go on.

Where elections were based on whiskey
and barters

Where all the trucks have gun racks
and the cars have big tires

Where noodling is illegal
and NASCAR stands tall

Where the funeral home has an info line
and the county paper tells all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

I like it!

Friday, June 27, 2008 8:37:00 PM

 
Blogger Laura Thomas Hall said...

Chester County - gotta love it! I was part of the whole take the petition to the City Council to get a prom. We were turned down my junior year. When did they start having proms again?
Also, I always wondered why Johnsons Funeral home had that drive through window too. Weird?

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 12:39:00 PM

 
Blogger soul and culture said...

Thanks, CRP!

Saturday, August 09, 2008 10:07:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home