pondering my role in a bigger story

Friday, July 13, 2007

mrs. beasley rides again


Remember Mrs. Beasley? She was one of my favorite childhood toys. Early in her life, she talked. Then I barfed on her, and when you pulled her cord, she spoke in tongues. Then she quit that, and all you get now is a whirring noise when you pull the cord.

Where the hell did Mrs. Beasley surface from, you ask? I'm just back from a 10-day road trip to Tennessee for the express purpose of retrieving some family heirlooms that were in storage. My mom's china and silver, a couple of globes for my vintage globe collection, a rocking chair, a side table, and some other random things had been stored at a friend's house since my dad moved to Nashville last year.

Besides the china and silver, the other item I am most proud to have is the clock that my grandfather purchased in 1927 and hung in my grandmother's one-room schoolhouse. It hung in her classroom for most of the 47 years that she taught school. I'll post a picture once I get it on the wall here.

Back to Mrs. Beasley...she was among the boxes of stuff I sorted through and brought back with me. You should also know that she was baptized on July 4th by my niece. I know many of you will have a problem with the fact that a) she was baptized by a female; b) that same female is only two years old; c) she was not fully immersed.

Mrs. Beasley thoroughly enjoyed her road trip to Denver, and looked out the window the entire trip. Not sure how long she will be around, but she deserves a photo shoot. And she's currently contemplating a retirement option in Richmond, where she could live with her childhood friend, Cookie Maness.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger AbbieCRAZY said...

I think I've met Mrs. Beasley before...

She obviously already has/had the gift of tongues so I think she should follow Cornelius's example and be immersed. But you know she's probably living in a saved state anyway oweing to her decreased mental capacity.

Like how I can answer any and all deep theological questions?

Saturday, July 14, 2007 9:42:00 AM

 
Blogger Jennifer said...

Even though Mrs. B cannot speak to you, be aware that she is likely homesick for pine trees, flowering plants, and the daily special vegetable plate. We could take her to the botanic gardens to satisfy the first 2/3, but for fried green tomatoes she may have to come up to Thornton where I have access to my neighbor's tomato harvest. Plastic Jesus is also welcome.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 1:55:00 PM

 
Blogger soul and culture said...

Throw in some okra, fresh corn, crowder peas, cornbread and sweet tea, and that's a perfect meal. Mrs. Beasley and I are on our way to Thornton.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:19:00 PM

 
Blogger Southern Cheesehead said...

I'm glad you found my blog so we can post now to each other. I hope CO is treating you well, Clifford Orange! :-)
I've been praying for you and your family and I don't remember Mrs. Beasley.

Monday, July 23, 2007 10:15:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I love it that she spoke in tongues. How neat. I remember Mrs. B., my little sister had one. HOpe she likes her new home.

Thanks for commenting on my blog.
Blessings to you.

Monday, July 23, 2007 9:19:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to LOVE my Mrs. Beasley doll. I wish I still had her.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 7:00:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home