pondering my role in a bigger story

Saturday, May 26, 2007

weeding out

My Memorial Day weekend plans are to whip my yard into shape. Or at least get a good start on it. I spent the better part of today pulling weeds and trimming trees and bushes. I’ve neglected it far too long, and the weeds are out of control. Some of them are a bit more steadfast than they should be. That’s not what I had in mind when I chose steadfast as my Word of the Year for 2007.

Basically I have two kinds of weeds. Some of them are hardy dandelion weeds. You’ve gotta get them from the root to keep them from regenerating.

Aside: Not that I am going to try it, but did you know that you can cook dandelion greens, just like you would mustard or turnip greens?

The other weeds are creepy vines. I think one is called Creeping Charlie, and I don’t know the name of the other one, but it is evil. Left unattended it gets out of control, and quick. Creeps along masquerading as a ground cover, winds its way around the plants and chokes the life out of them. There may be a spiritual parallel here, don’t you think?

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes - I think I can imagine several spiritual parallels with the weeds in our life. There definitely are things in life that seem to take over, keeping the good things from thriving.

One time I took a completely different approach - marveling at the hidden beauty of weeds, that often goes unnoticed because we favor the big colorful scene-stealing "beautiful" plants and flowers instead. Some "weeds" have the tiniest little flowers, so pretty and delicate, but you have to really stop and look carefully to notice them. Sometimes we don't even realize that some weeds have flowers because we whack down the plant before the flowers have a chance to blossom.

Love parallels and allegories!!

Thursday, June 07, 2007 7:57:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home