pondering my role in a bigger story

Monday, October 05, 2009

faith shift

I've experienced somewhat of a shift in my faith the past several months. Again. And likely (hopefully) not the last. Difficult to articulate, it has something to do with a desire to 'be' or 'do' the gospel, as opposed to hearing a different spin on the gospel. There's more to it than that, but that's what I know today.

This has been most evident in my lack of engagement at so-called evangelical gatherings, where the message was presented by a speaker to a captive audience. On two separate occasions lately, I was hugely under-whelmed, when in times past I would have been totally engaged and on track with the presenter. It has been a bit disappointing. The times that I have been engaged, particularly when I look at what resonated with me the most at Greenbelt, speak to this as well.

No, I'm not losing faith. And you need not worry that I am not reading the latest Christian book. I'm not. And I likely won't be any time soon. But I am leaving a little more room for Jesus.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

Sometimes I like to imagine what Jesus would be doing and where he would hang out if he was in the flesh with us today. I don't think he'd go to many of the churches or read the books. I imagine he'd be out on the streets, gathering the folks and helping them out.

And if he did go into a church, I imagine his message would be "shut up and get busy!!"

Tuesday, October 06, 2009 7:02:00 AM

 
Blogger Tammy M. said...

I think that your "faith shift" is moving towards the heart of Jesus and where He is calling you. I feel the same thing, which is the only reason I feel like I can even comment here. I remember one person saying, we know enough Bible, we need to just put into practice what we have already learned. That statement didn't mean that we didn't need to be in the Word, it just meant that at what point were we actually going to practice the example of Jesus. I do appreciate the the gatherings of Christians, but I have found that I am more often using those occasions to encourage those around me, and finding Jesus in those encounters. The bible started to seem empty to me, not because of the bible itself but because I was continually reading it and not putting it into practice. Loving my enemies, feeding the poor, sharing God's love with the least of these...walking into these areas intentionally has given my spiritual walk teeth now, it's not just about the gathering and the feel good moments.
May you continue to seek our Good Father's heart.

Tuesday, October 06, 2009 7:27:00 AM

 
Anonymous Ellen Haroutunian said...

leaving more more room for Jesus - you radical! :-)

Tuesday, October 06, 2009 8:21:00 AM

 
Blogger Jessica said...

I think you're on the right track. Good on you for recognizing it, blessings in figuring out where you're going to take it.

Tuesday, October 06, 2009 10:13:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home